To enjoy a delicious pizza you don’t need to leave your house, you just need to know the recipe for wholemeal pizza dough and have the right ingredients at hand to prepare it.
The best thing about preparing pizza at home is that you can add the ingredients of your choice, even enjoying new flavours.
Plus, you can eat the slices you prefer until you’re satisfied with the pizza you had when you started cooking it.
To help you cook the perfect plan, with a whole wheat pizza included, we give you a recipe to make a perfect dough in just 6 easy steps.
Surprise your family on the next movie night by making delicious pizzas that are just as good as the pizzas at your favorite restaurant.
Easy whole-grain pizza dough recipe
The following ingredients are necessary to prepare the wholemeal pizza dough recipe:
- 100 g of wholemeal flour.
- 50 grams of flour.
- 6 grams of fresh yeast.
- 1 pinch of sugar.
- ½ teaspoon salt.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 100 ml of warm water.
By following these simple steps you will be able to obtain the wholemeal pizza dough to enjoy a special homemade meal:
- To begin with you must add the fresh yeast, sugar and two spoonfuls of water in a glass, stirring with a spoon until the yeast is completely dissolved.
- In a bowl add the wholemeal flour, the flour and the salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the warm water, olive oil and yeast that was dissolved at the beginning using sticks until a homogeneous dough is obtained.
- Flour a smooth surface, knead for 10 minutes until it has the right elasticity.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover it with a damp cloth, leaving it to rest at room temperature for 1 hour. You will know it is ready when you see that the wholemeal pizza dough is twice its original size.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and cut it into pieces to shape it on a smooth floured surface and then add the ingredients of your choice and take it to the oven.
The secret of the dough is here
To master the art of preparing pizza dough with wholemeal flour you must know the perfect kneading technique, so this process is the most important when preparing pizza.
To obtain an ideal wholemeal pizza dough, three conditions must be met, which are necessary for gluten to develop:
- Make the dough easy to stretch.
- Make the dough sturdy.
- Let the dough grow as it ferments.
Another important aspect to obtain the right consistency of the pizza dough is the water, being able to get more or less soft pizza bases depending on the amount of water added.
As for the kneading, two types are used according to the consistency of the dough. If the wholemeal pizza dough is soft, French kneading is used and if the dough is hard, traditional kneading is used.
Best flour for making wholemeal pizza
To prepare wholemeal pizza dough we recommend using two types of flour: wholemeal and wholemeal spelt flour. Each of them has particular characteristics that will be mentioned below:
Wholemeal flour is one of the main ingredients used to make wholemeal pizza dough.
Among the characteristics of the wholemeal flour we have:
- It is easily accessible.
- Its cost is affordable.
- It is an easy ingredient to handle.
- It allows to obtain a suitable elasticity.
Wholemeal spelt flour
Wholemeal spelt flour is less well known than wholemeal, however, it is possible to find it on the market.
Among the characteristics of wholemeal spelt flour we have:
- Its cost is high.
- It gives the dough elasticity.
- It requires shorter kneading periods.
Are all the yeasts the same?
Just as there are different types of flour, we can find different types of yeast on the market, which can be used to make the pizza dough. Among them we have:
You can find dry yeast in any supermarket, usually in the flour or baking products area.
This type of yeast keeps in excellent conditions for a long time and is usually used to make cakes and bread.
Fresh yeast is an easily accessible product that you can also find in any supermarket in the cold storage area.
This type of yeast has a reduced expiration date, so it is recommended to freeze it to avoid damage.
Fresh yeast is economical and available in small sachets.
Instant yeast known as baking powder is a product used to prepare cakes, pies and cookies.
When using instant yeast it is not necessary to wait for the dough to ferment, as when exposed to heat the dough grows.
Instant yeast is the best option when preparing pizzas, avoiding long waiting times.
Ideal time for fermentation of the wholemeal pizza dough
In order to achieve the proper fermentation of the wholemeal pizza dough, it is necessary to wait for the time needed for the dough to obtain more flavor and aroma.
Among the types of fermentation used in the preparation of pizza dough with wholemeal flour we have
Long fermentation is a process that takes place when we want to obtain a dough full of aromas and flavor.
This type of fermentation takes place for 30 to 40 minutes at room temperature with the dough already made.
Then, the dough is stored in the refrigerator until it ferments for 18 to 30 hours.
It is not recommended to leave the dough in the refrigerator for more than 72 hours, as it could be damaged by excessive fermentation.
The short fermentation takes 2 to 3 hours and is recommended for the preparation of pizza dough with wholemeal flour.
Is there any whole-grain pizza dough left over? Then you can freeze it
An ideal way to keep the pizza dough with wholemeal flour for longer is by freezing it. However, this process must be done properly so that the dough does not lose any of its unique characteristics.
We will now share the step by step to show you how to do it:
- To avoid long waiting times when defrosting the dough, it is recommended that you store it in individual plastic containers in the shape of a ball.
- To thaw the dough, simply take the plastic container out of the freezer and leave it at room temperature until it has thawed.
- After defrosting the dough you can keep it in the refrigerator until you are going to use it.
- Finally, stretch the dough, add the ingredients of your preference and take it to the oven.
Tips for making a perfect wholemeal pizza dough
Some tips that will help you obtain a perfect whole grain pizza dough are
- Leave the dough to rest: after adding the dough ingredients, you should leave it to rest at least 15 minutes before starting the kneading process, which will make the dough easier to work with, with great taste and a crispy crust.
- Stretch the dough well: this way you will get a crispy pizza with an ideal thickness. To stretch the dough properly you should use a rolling pin, stretching the dough well on a flat surface.
- Use the right amount of sauce: remember that adding more sauce than necessary to the dough will only add moisture and when baking the pizza you will get a chewy dough. It is recommended to add a couple of spoonfuls of sauce on the dough and spread it well.
- Preheat the oven: before baking the wholemeal pizza it is ideal to preheat the oven for 45 minutes at maximum temperature with the tray where you are going to place the dough. After this time, remove the tray carefully so as not to burn yourself, place the pizza on it and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
How hungry we are all of a sudden!