Lime blossom is known in North America as the lime blossom medicinal plant. One of its main characteristics is that it is very powerful and useful. The flowers, inner bark and leaves are used to treat various diseases.
This plant has many health benefits that you may not be aware of. Do you want to know more about it? From Greenuso we will detail what lime is, benefits and properties that will surprise you, let’s start!
Table of Contents
What is Lime Tree?
Lime blossom is a tree that grows in temperate climates of the northern hemisphere, which is achieved in Europe and Asia where it grows in humid soil. This tree grows wild, so it is common to see it at the side of the road or in parks.
You can recognize it by the shape of its leaves, as they are heart-shaped. Between the months of June and July it sprouts flowers in bunches. These flowers are very aromatic, which is why it is widely used to make delicious lime blossom tea.
Properties of lime blossom
Among the most relevant properties of the linden plant we have
- It contains pharmesol, bacteriostatic and deodorant, being very beneficial for skin health. The pharmesol provides that characteristic aroma of the lime tree.
- Tannins have astringent and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mucilages help to reduce cholesterol levels. Also, they have demulcent properties, prevent cancer, avoid constipation and serve to treat diabetes.
- It contains prebiotics which promote the intestinal flora and improve the absorption of various minerals.
- It contains demulcents which act as a protector and stimulant of the digestive mucous membranes.
- Carotenoids offer antioxidant properties.
- It has a good dose of vitamin C.
Benefits of lime blossom
Among the benefits of lime blossom are
- Diaphoretic. It helps to improve colds and other respiratory infections thanks to its ability to stimulate secretion.
- Antispasmodic. It helps muscles that have contracted in a disorderly way to return to their normal state. It also relieves the symptoms of irritable colon and various problems in the digestive and reproductive system.
- Relaxing and sleeping. It has a sedative and relaxing effect on the nervous system. It helps the symptoms of nervousness, stress and insomnia.
- Anti-inflammatory. Quality to reduce inflammation of the muscles and inflamed organs, and decrease pain.
- Diuretic. Eliminates excess liquids from the body. Benefits people who suffer from pulmonary edema and respiratory infections such as bronchitis.
- Vasodilator and hypotensive. It helps to relax the blood vessels and to decrease the blood pressure. It is effective in preventing some cardiovascular diseases such as heart attack and thrombosis. It also improves others already present such as varicose veins, hypertension and arteriosclerosis.
- Digestive and carminative. It helps with problems of the digestive system, such as biliary dyspepsia, intolerance to fats, colic, difficulty in swallowing, flatulence, etc. It also helps the liver and the gallbladder, facilitating the expulsion of stones.
- Analgesic. Relieves various pains thanks to its antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory and relaxing action. It also helps to relieve headaches, migraine or headache.
- Emollient. These properties are used in creams and lotions that help to relieve itching and cure dry skin. Linden flowers mixed with cornflower flowers help in the reduction of dark circles and cellulite.
What you should know before consuming lime blossom
Lime blossom hascontraindications that you should be aware of when starting treatment with it. These include
- People who have stomach or heart problems should not drink lime blossom tea. Not without first consulting your doctor.
- People who are taking antidepressants or medicines for anxiety or insomnia should consult their doctor as to whether it is advisable to ingest this plant. Because, there could be unwanted interactions.
- People who are prone to allergies are advised to try a small amount of lime blossom to rule out whether this silver will cause allergies.
- Lime blossom tea is not recommended for use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.
How to make lime blossom tea – easy and simple!
If you don’t know how to brew lime blossom tea yet, don’t worry! We’ll tell you all you need to know and the steps to follow.
- One litre of water
- 30 grams of linden flowers
To prepare it, place the water over a high heat and when it reaches boiling point, add the lime blossoms. You can calculate about 5 grams for each cup. Then, leave it on low heat for five minutes. Then, let it rest for another five minutes and sweeten it with honey or as you prefer.
After knowing what lime blossom is, its properties and benefits , we encourage you to taste it moderately. And you, what other benefits or properties do you know about lime blossom?