27 One of the most well-known products of sugar cane is, for the sake of redundancy, sugar. However, other products, including alcoholic beverages such as rum, are also produced from it.
On the other hand, there is a juice that is extracted directly from the cane.
To enjoy this drink with its characteristic taste and appearance, it is necessary to implement pressing techniques on the sugar canes, from which an ochre liquid sprouts, which served with ice and lemon, becomes an elixir of gods.
The cultivation of sugar cane has its origin in Asia, from there, has come to spread its seeds around the world and has developed, with great success, in several countries through different forms of consumption.
In addition to these products, sugarcane has many medicinal qualities, which have made it one of the plants with the greatest health benefits.
Continue reading and learn a little more about the properties and benefits of this noble crop.
What is sugar cane?
Sugar cane is a crop with countless properties, which affect the health of consumers.
Because of its adaptability, it grows well in sandy and clay soils in tropical and warm regions. It only requires water to grow, and can reach up to 6 meters high.
Sugar cane crops are developed in four phases:
- Rapid growth.
Sugar cane is – par excellence – a good source of fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Metabolites can be found in the bagasse, juice and leaves of the cane.
Characteristics of sugar cane
Among the characteristics of this crop we can mention:
- It has hard, thick and juicy stems.
- They can reach up to 6 meters in height.
- It can be found in different colors such as green, pink or purple.
- Its leaves are lanceolate, long, fribrous and its edges are serrated. They are between 30 cm and 60 cm long.
Properties of sugar cane
Sugarcane has the capacity to offer numerous beneficial properties to the consumer, among which are the following:
The intake of sugar cane favours the reduction of chronic diseases, such as cancer and coronary diseases, due to its antioxidant properties.
With this characteristic, it allows the reduction of free radicals that cause damage to cells.
The consumption of sugar cane prevents infections caused by the development of microorganisms harmful to health.
Sugar cane consumption is especially effective when infections affect the mucous membranes and the surface of the skin.
The cardiotonic properties increase the efficiency of heart function by decreasing oxygen consumption.
Problems with fluid retention? With this plant we can forget about them.
The diuretic property, among the most important of the consumption of this crop, allows controlling the annoying symptoms caused by fluid retention.
These properties improve and prevent discomfort caused by constipation.
Its intake promotes the acceleration of bowel movements, which facilitates the frequency of evacuation.
Benefits of Sugarcane
Among the most important benefits of sugar cane are
- They provide a great source of energy.
- They provide vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- It accelerates the body’s metabolism.
- It prevents the increase of glucose levels.
- Decreases the symptoms of the common cold.
- Prevents heart disease and improves the functioning of the cardiovascular system.
- It calms digestive ailments.
- It contributes to the improvement of oral health and gum diseases.
- It improves the health of the skin, helping in the healing process of wounds.
- Generates endorphins that produce the feeling of happiness.
How is sugar cane stored?
The adequate storage of this crop is very important for its conservation.
Sugar cane must be rinsed and dried well to be cut into small pieces which, wrapped in transparent paper, are placed in the refrigerator.
In this way, the sugar cane stalks are prevented from losing moisture, while remaining fresh and juicy.
It is recommended to keep the pieces of this noble crop in the refrigerator for a maximum of two weeks.
Uses of sugar cane
Among the various uses of sugar cane are the following:
- It is used for the production of sugar.
- They serve as fertilizer for farmland, animal feed and fertilizer.
- It is used in the production of alcohol.
- It is ideal for the manufacture of liquid fuel.
- It is the main ingredient in the production of alcoholic beverages for human consumption.
- It is ideal for use in confectionery.
- The raw material is obtained to make compost.