Did you know that you can make eco-friendly crafts with plastic bags without much effort and at low cost? Thanks to these ideas you can give free rein to your creativity while offering a small contribution to the care of the planet.
Get ready! And take note of these 5 ways to reuse the plastic bags that will come in handy. Let’s get started!
5 creative ways to reuse plastic bags
From Greenuso we want to show you how to reuse plastic bags to promote environmental preservation while giving your imagination free rein.
1. Plastic crochet thread
Now you can make balls of yarn with plastic bags very easily. You will only need all those plastic bags that you no longer use and a scissors. Pay attention to the procedure!
- To begin with, you must place a bag and stretch it out very well on a flat surface.
- Then cut the handles and the bottom of the bag. A cylinder should be left in a tubular shape.
- Now, proceed to fold the plastic in half towards the closed edges.
- Then, fold it back in the same direction.
- On the other hand, proceed to cut strips of about 3 centimeters.
- When you unfold the pre-cut strips, you’ll get several circles.
- Link these circles by passing one inside the other until you get a very long strip.
- Finally, repeat this procedure with each bag and assemble your ball of plastic thread.
- With this thread you can give free rein to your creativity and create various artistic projects such as rugs, coasters, pencil cases, bags, baskets, hats, among others.
2. Beach bag with melted plastic technique
Thanks to the molten plastic technique you can make a practical, resistant and original bag with plastic bags.
To do this, you’ll need scissors, paper towels, bias tape, a clothes iron and your sewing machine. Check out the step-by-step instructions!
- Start by cutting off the handles and the bottom of the bag and discard them.
- Use the scissors to open the bags from the side to obtain a large sheet.
- Repeat this process with all the bags to begin the molten plastic technique.
- Now, melt the plastic bags with the clothes iron.
- To do this, use vegetable paper as a base, then place two sheets of plastic on top and cover them with another piece of vegetable paper.
- Run the hot iron over the paper so that the heat will fuse them.
- Repeat the previous step, melting four to six plastic sheets at a time.
- When you get enough thermo melted plate start making your beach bag.
- Proceed by using the plates as if they were fabric. Cut the pieces of the bag, according to the model and size you prefer.
- All right, now pass the pieces through the sewing machine to assemble the bag.
- Once the bag is assembled, sew the bias tape around its edges. This will give it a nice look and more strength.
- All you have to do is wear this sturdy, unique and waterproof bag when you go for a walk on the beach.
3. Pet bed with plastic bags
If you have a dog or cat at home, you should learn to make this cute, useful and ingenious bed where your beloved pet can sleep.
To make it you will need a pillowcase, any old zipper, needles, thread and many plastic bags. The procedure is simple and the result is lovely – take a look!
- Sew the zipper on the edge of the pillowcase.
- Put all the bags inside the cover and close the zipper.
- If you tie a knot to each bag with some air inside you will get a softer mattress.
- Even large plastic bags, where mattresses or some appliances are wrapped, are great for this project.
- Ready! That’s how quickly and easily you’ll have your pet bed with plastic bags ready.
4. Lamp with plastic bags
By creating this eco-friendly lamp you can reuse plastic bags instead of throwing them away. In this way, you will contribute to reducing environmental pollution.
Among the materials you’ll need are your old lamp, lots of white bags for extra light, two dome-shaped plastic cup lids, a large nail, tape and glue. Here’s how it works:
- The first thing you will do is fold the bags to cut out many 10 x 10 cm squares.
- Then, open a large hole at the top of one of the lids.
- The bulb from your eco-friendly lamp should fit through this hole.
- For the next step, he heats the tip of the nail and opens small holes in both plastic lids.
- Then, form many cones by rolling up each plastic square.
- Insert the cones through all the holes in the lids.
- Then insert the small lamp bulb through the large hole you previously opened in one of the lids.
- Help yourself with the adhesive tape so that the light bulb is well fastened.
- Stick the edge of this cover with the other half to form a ball and you are ready to make this beautiful eco-lamp.
- It is important that the bulb is LED light to avoid accidents.
5. Plastic bag flowers
Learn how to make these beautiful and decorative flowers with plastic bags, which can be a great help in school crafts or Christmas time to make an original wreath or garland.
You will only need colored bags, scissors, and green pipe cleaners. Watch how it is done!
- The first thing you will do is cut the handles and bottom of the bag.
- Stretch the bag very well, fold it in half and cut it.
- Fold it again and cut it once more. You will get long strips of 10 to 12 cm wide or more depending on the length of the bag used.
- Now place two of these on top of each other and cut out the edges.
- Then, at one end, start folding them like an accordion.
- Once the whole strip has been folded, hold it very carefully in the middle with the pipe cleaner.
- It should look like a kind of fan. Place one end of it and start to separate the bag along its edge.
- When you unfold the whole bag you will get a beautiful flower, to which with some imagination you can add details like petals, leaves and pistils to make it look more real.
We have reached the end of this entry where we present you 5 ways to reuse the plastic bags so that you can start using them as soon as possible. Which one did you like best?